The Springhouse was used as cold storage for perishable foods for both travelers and local inhabitants. It also provided cold drinking water for weary travelers and their horses. Because the Springhouse exists at a major entry point into Delhi, it served as an ideal place for travelers to stop, rest, and perhaps pay a small fee for the use of the roadway.
The Springhouse is the only remaining evidence of Cornelius Sedam’s farm. The flowing water, stone walls, and stone floor kept the interior cool while the barred opening and heavy plank door allowed the Springhouse to be locked for security. The Springhouse was used for more than 100 years, and the natural spring supplied fresh water as late as 1937.
In 1933, the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) erected a plaque which is still mounted on the stone wall outside the Springhouse, recognizing the authenticity of the structure.
The site was deeded by Alfred J. Thomas to Delhi Township and most recently restored by the Delhi Township Board of Trustees in 1964.
In mid to late 2004, a full restoration began on the Springhouse. The completed restoration has provide Delhi Township with a signature entrance into the community and restoration of a source of community pride.
The stone walls of the Springhouse were disassembled and the stones numbered for accurate reassembly in their original position. After the stones were reassembled, the wood roof structure was replaced with new wood shingles. The previous wood door was repaired and installed with a new iron-gate to allow for interior viewing. The tile well and surrounding stone paving located at the rear of the structure has been reset and restored to be made fully functional.
The completed renovation serves as a source of pride to everyone involved in the project and to everyone in the community of Delhi Township. Please visit the newly restored Delhi Springhouse at 4162 Delhi Pike.