Community Development / Planning & Zoning / Frequently Asked Questions

What kinds of projects need a Zoning Certificate?

  • Residential projects including: new homes; home additions; deck and porches (if raised off of the ground); accessory structures (sheds, fences, garages) and swimming pools.
  • Commercial projects including: new office, commercial and industrial buildings, additions to buildings, accessory structures and signs.
  • Commercial changes including: anytime a new business or use occupies an existing building or building unit.


What kind of projects do not need a Zoning Certificate?

  • Residential projects including: interior renovations that do not increase floor space or the number of dwelling units; flat work (including concrete/asphalt/paver patios, walks and driveways outside of the right-of-way); and walls less than 4-feet in height.
  • Commercial projects including: interior renovations that do not increase floor space and/or do not increase required off-street parking.


What is the process for obtaining a Zoning Certificate?

You must complete and submit a completed Zoning Certificate Application along with all required supplemental information (listed on the application).  The completed Zoning Certificate Application and materials must be submitted to the Department of Community Development Division of Planning/Zoning.  Application can be obtained here or at the Office of Community Development.  If you have any questions, please contact of the Department of Community Development Division of Planning/Zoning at 513-922-2705.

What are the fees for my Zoning Certificate Application?

Zoning Certificate Application fees vary depending on the type of work being undertaken.  The Fee Schedule information can be viewed here to estimate your fees.  Questions concerning fees should be directed to the Department of Community Development Division of Planning/Zoning at 513-922-2705.

When do I need to get a building permit?

In general, improvements other than fences and accessory structures (less than 200 sq. ft.), pavement at grade and retaining walls less than 4-feet in height require building permits.  For detailed information on the building permit process and how to obtain a building permit, please contact Hamilton County Building + Inspections at 513-946-4550 or

What rules apply to residential fences?

In front yards fences may be up to 4-feet in height provided that they are at least 75% open (typically chain link and split rail type fencing).  In side yards fences maybe up to 4-feet in height provided that they are at least 50% open (typically picket type fencing).  In rear yards fences may be up to 6-feet in height and less than 50% open (typically stockade and privacy type fencing).  The finished side of the fence is required to face outward (supports and framing inward).  Fencing materials are not regulated but a Zoning Certificate is required for all fences before installation.

Does the township have a property maintenance code?

No, the township does not have a property maintenance code, but the township has adopted nuisance regulations which require a limited amount of property maintenance.  These regulations prohibit:

  • Accumulation of debris including garbage, trash, junk and other discarded materials
  • Inoperative motor vehicles which are wrecked, disassembled and/or unable to operate under their own power and have been in such condition for a period of thirty (30) or more days
  • Excessive vegetation including grass and/or weeds in excess of 12” in height on a property one acre or less in size
  • Dangerous structures including any structure deemed to be dilapidated, unsafe and/or unsecured by the Hamilton County Building Department, the Township Fire Department and/or the Hamilton County Department of Public Health

What are the most common zoning and nuisance violations?

The most common violations include:
  • Construction improvements including: building additions, fences, sheds, decks, and detached garages, without first obtaining a Zoning Certificate
  • Parking vehicles on unpaved surfaces (approved pavement materials include concrete, asphalt and pavers; gravel is not an approved pavement material)
  • Recreational vehicles including: trailers, campers and boats being stored in front and/or side yards
  • Excessive vegetation and debris on properties less than one acre in size

If I see a zoning and/or nuisance violation, how do I report it?

The township encourages residents to report any witnessed zoning and/or nuisance violations.  You can report the violation by calling the Department of Community Development at (513) 922-2705 or you can use the townships Action Line found at

If I file a zoning and/or nuisance complaint, am I required to provide my name?

When filing a complaint, it is your decision on whether or not you wish to remain anonymous.  Due to the sensitive nature of some violations and public record laws the township must adhere too, if you file a complaint with your name as the complainant and there is a request for the information, all information related to the complaint (including your name) will need to be released, so please take that into consideration when you file your complaint on whether or not you wish to remain anonymous.

Can the township help me settle a dispute over property lines?

The township cannot resolve property line disputes as this is a civil matter.  To best resolve the conflict, it is recommended that you have a survey done by a private, registered land surveyor.

What is the contact information for the Department of Community Development?

Planning & Zoning Staff
Gregory J. DeLong, Community Development Director
Tom Stahlheber, Zoning Coordinator
Tony Roach, Zoning Inspector
Donna Wuebbling, Part-time Clerical Specialist


Community Development Department / Planning & Zoning Division
697 Neeb Road
Cincinnati, Ohio 45233

Phone: (513) 922-2705   Fax: (513) 922-8767

Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.  Monday – Friday (excluding holidays)


Delhi Township