Fire Department / Celebrating 80 Years
“Celebrating 80 Years of Proud Service”
In the 1930’s Delhi used the City of Cincinnati for fire protection. The contract called for $75 per hour for a fire truck and $25 an hour for the accompanying Marshal. Most of the fire problem was brush and grass fires. Joe Lampe, the Township Clerk at the time, began the process of organizing a Volunteer Fire Department, and the Delhi Township Volunteer Fire Protection Association was born. This process began in the fall of 1934.
The Protective Association consisted of 35 community members that elected Joe Lampe the first Fire Chief for Delhi. Under his direction the committee drafted the organization’s constitution. All the meetings were held in Klawitter’s Tavern on Neeb across from OLV.
On July 7, 1935 the organization held its first picnic fundraiser which netted $827. In September of that same year the association sought out, located, and purchased an Ahrens Fox pumper for $550 from Cincinnati. In that same month a private telephone line was installed with the number of “DELHI ONE” to report emergencies. The telephone was in the Tavern and the siren to call the volunteers was across the street in front of the current convocation Center at OLV.
The fire truck, the same truck in our museum, was stored in the Benz Blacksmith shop, which was located on the current Five Points property. In September of 1935 the Association began to look for a permanent location to construct a fire station. The original property, at the current location of the Neeb Road station, was 50’ x 150’ and was purchased for $450, payable over 2 years at 6% interest to Mr. Al Lipps. In December 1935, ground was broke for the building itself and the total cost of the building and property was $2,500. The deed was transferred on February 17, 1936.
By the end of 1936 the Delhi Volunteer Fire Department responded to 18 fire calls and 3 medical runs with a property loss value of $3250. Delhi Fire Department became a public safety service governed by the Board of Trustees in 1986.